Tuesday, May 3, 2011

JEH VI

WOW! I can't believe baby (John Edward Harris VI) is finally here! While it seems like we were just recently getting excited to tell people that we were expecting, it seems like so long ago too. It's been a long, tough, joyous, emotional and exciting nine months.

He was born via c-section at 12:03 p.m. on Monday, May 2. He was 7 lbs 8 oz. and 20 inches long. The worst time of the day was when they put the IV in. For some reason that I can't remember they put it in my forearm rather than my hand. It was much more painful. The second hardest time was when they did the spinal block. It wasn't so much that it hurt but that John couldn't be with me to help me through it.

And of course the most exciting time was when they lifted JJ over the partition so that I could see him! I almost immediately started crying, he was so perfect. I was relieved when they said he could stay in the room with us because all of his vitals were good. However, I became a little concerned when they checked his sugar level in recovery and it was only 36. Something that I had prayed so much about and asked God not to let happen, it seemed, was about to happen. Because he wouldn't feed well, we had to supplement with a bottle to make sure his blood sugar level came up above 40. He took about an ounce and they checked his level again after an hour. It had come up to 69. Another hour or so later it was at 73! Praise God it was staying normal! They continued to monitor his sugars before each attempt at feeding and they remained in the normal range. We are so blessed that after several high blood sugar readings during my last trimester, he doesn't seem to have any problems.

It's about to hit 3 a.m. here and I still haven't slept. I'm sure part of it is hormones and part of it is excitement. Whatever it is it's slowly but surely going away. I'm about to fall asleep now. Thank you to everyone who kept us in prayer during the pregnancy and during delivery. We feel incredibly blessed by all of your love and support!

2 comments:

Moments Like This said...

John and Shari and JJ
We were so happy to see you all happy and well last night! Congrats again! I remember that first night with Peter I only slept about one hour because I was so busy looking at him. I pray you had better sleep last night! Can't wait to see you all again!

Unknown said...

John,Shari,and JJ
I hope that you have a good time learning new things in life. Having a child is the best experience ever. JJ is perfect in ever way. God could have giving JJ to 2 better people. You are going to be the prefect parents. I am praying you got some good sleep last night and in the days to come. Hope all is going well can't to see you guys again soon. I love all of you.